Monday, November 19, 2012

Yoga: what's behind the craze?

These days, it seems like everyone is doing yoga.  In my home city, Seattle, yoga classes can be found just about everywhere: gyms, workplaces, neighborhood community centers, and nursing homes.  Anyone with an Internet connection can access hundreds of free, full-length yoga classes via YouTube or iTunes.

What is behind this craze?  In reality, yoga is far from a trend: yoga originated in India and has been practiced in different forms for thousands of years.  That being said, it is true that yoga has has gained tremendous popularity in the USA and other Western countries over the past 10 to 20 years.

In the United States today, 'yoga' typically refers to some form of hatha yoga, which uses physical poses, or asanas, combined with breathing techniques meditation to achieve better health. Subtypes of hatha yoga that you might see advertised include Bikram, Baptiste, and Vinyasa yoga, to name but a few.  All are variations of the hatha approach.

Perhaps the best way to understand yoga’s popularity is to go right to someone who practices it. Full disclosure: I started practicing yoga about seven years ago. At the time, I chose to enroll in a worksite yoga class because it was the only fitness class that fit my schedule.   When I started, I couldn't touch my toes and I didn't know the difference between a downward facing dog and an upward facing dog.  It took me awhile to touch my toes (and I am still learning the names of all the poses), but I quickly found that yoga made me feel great.  I kept coming back for more.  And the more I practiced, the greater the benefits I experienced.  

Anyone who has regularly practiced yoga can attest to its positive impact on muscle strength, flexibility and balance.  According to the National Institutes for Health, current research also suggests that yoga reduces certain types of pain, improves quality of life; reduces stress; lowers heart rate and blood pressure; and helps relieve anxiety, depression, and insomnia.

Ready to get started? If you a beginner, try to find an instructor (as opposed to watching a video or reading a book).  A qualified yoga teacher will teach you proper alignment and correct your positioning as needed.  He or she also will teach you modifications for different poses if you have physical limitations or if you are at risk for an injury.  Once you learn the basics, you can practice on your own (although many elect to continue with a teacher for at least some of their practices).

Anyone can practice yoga - regardless of age or level of physical disability.  But pay attention to how you feel during your practices and never push beyond your edge.  A key principle of yoga is to notice and respect your limitations.  If you follow these suggestions, you will most likely find that you want to continue yoga because you it helps you feel so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment